9/10/2010

Eyestrain: When it’s Cruel to be Cool

By Penny Henriksen, Genius Solutions’ news writer and editor

Have you ever been caught sitting in front of your computer wearing your sunglasses?  Everyone thinks you’re too cool to talk to, but all you want to do is scoop your eyes out with a rusty spoon? Yeah, I’ve been there. You probably wouldn’t know it just from reading the newsletter, but I spend a lot of time in front of my computer at work and at home. It is my lifeline, for research, writing, graphics, even my very thoughts often go directly to my computer screen before they have a chance to cross my mind.

Because so many of us spend so much time in front of our computers it is important to think of our eyes, before we want to gouge them out. There is even a syndrome for us computer user types called Computer Vision Syndrome (CVS). Basically it is extreme eye strain. There are current claims, stating that evidence is beginning to show a link between heavy computer use and an increase in glaucoma.



Signs that you may be cruel and not cool
  • Sore, tired, itchy, dry, or watery eyes
  • Blurred or double vision
  • “Halo-ing” around what you are looking at on your screen
  • Problems refocusing or seeing clearly at a distance
  • Increased light sensitivity
  • “Off” color perception
  • Frequently losing your place or having problems focusing between copy and screen
  • Headaches during or after computer use
  • Neck, shoulder, elbow, wrist pain

So, now that you know what you already suspected (i.e. “Yes, I cannot live without it, but my computer is the bane of my existence”). I know this sounds amazingly unselfish, but your eyestrain can also affect those around you. I don’t know about you, but when my eyes are killing me and I’m getting that late afternoon headache, it is really difficult for me to be Suzy HappyLoveYouAll. That being said, explore the boxes for some things that we can all do to prevent and counteract eyestrain and computer fatigue.

As much as I would have a rough life trying to live without my computer, I still do it mostly for work. Honestly I work so I can afford to ride my motorcycle, kayak, or do lots of other things.  I want to be able to continue to see and enjoy the beauty of the world around me. I don’t want to mess up my eyes so badly that all they ever do see is a computer. That not only wouldn’t be cool or cruel, that would be a crime.

For More Information
I found a great website about eyestrain and how to help yourself at http://www.visionworksusa.com/computereyestrain.htm. They also offer you the opportunity to send them an e-mail address and they will send you eye exercises and tips, a seven-page document of eye goodies.


Set up your workstation and computer area in the most ergonomic way possible.
Now, I know that a workstation is often one desk with many users, or the cubes are all the same but the people come in different sizes. It is true. You cannot always make all of the changes that you would like, but, make as many as you can. Microsoft has a great page and a lot of tips on their website about how to setup your computer gear and work area (http://www.microsoft.com/uk/hardware/hcg/hcg_view.mspx). I came across this on the last computer that I bought and found it to be useful.

Some setup basics:
  • Your head shouldn’t be looking up or down, it should be comfortably level –Your neck knows.  Think about adjusting your monitor or your chair if needed.
  • Your elbows, wrists, and hands, should all be level across your desk with keyboard and mouse – your shoulder and arms will let you know.  Think about a seat cushion to boost you up, or wrist pads for keyboard and mouse if you need to tweak things.
  • Looking back and forth can really hurt– your eyes, neck, and head will know.  If you have to look between copy and screen, make sure that your copy is sitting up vertically as close to your screen and at the same height level, if possible.

Care about the brightness and the glare
  • The light coming from your monitor and the surrounding light should be the same brightness.
  • You should not have lighting coming behind you and glaring off your computer screen into your eyes.
  • You should not be facing light directly (like a window) while using your computer, the light will glare directly into your eyes and cause you to fight the contrast between the light and your monitor.
  • Don’t be afraid to use the buttons on your monitor to adjust the brightness, glare, and contrast to levels that are comfortable for your eyes.

See beyond the tip of your screen, over and over again
  • Give your eyes a break. Every 15-20 minutes get your eyes off the screen and move them around a bit.
  • Re-focus by turning away from your screen, put your thumb about six inches in front of your face and pick an object 10-20 feet away.  Focus on your finger, breath. Then focus on your far away object, breath. Repeat the exercise about 15 times.
  • Define the lines. On your next break, look at the wall away from you (10-20 feet again) and then let your eyes roam the edges of every object you perceive, desks, people, pictures, clocks, etc., just let them keep moving around for a minute or two.
  • Ye old eye pillow, for when I just want to cry but can’t. This may sound silly, but when there is no consoling my eyes, and they hurt so bad I believe they’ll never be the same again, I break out my herbal eye pillow. You know those ones that you can use hot or cold. Yeah, that one. I leave mine in the freezer all of the time. Lay down for nap, bed, or a break, in as dark a room as possible.  Then put on the eye pillow (you could even use a cold, wet washcloth) and let the cool seep through your aching eyes and into your overworked soul. When you get up or wake up, you may find you still have it in you to conquer the world.
  • Oh, and for heaven’s sake get outside once in a while and have a whole day off from your computer. Your computer is to remain 100% completely and entirely OFF for the entire day. No, this is not crazy talk. This is sanity knocking on your door.

No comments: